Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hair Product Review: Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner

If you have hair that is crinkly, curly, wavy, and possibly kinky or frizzy in texture (or a combination of all listed), than this hair product review may be of most interest to you, especially if you wear your natural hair texture.  I have hair that is a combo of crinkly, curly, wavy, and frizzy (especially depending on what products I choose to style my natural hair with).  Sometimes I wear my hair straight (through flat ironing), and sometimes I wear my hair's natural texture.  I look for products that I think will enhance my hair texture by defining it's crinkly, curly, and waviness more and decrease the frizzy feel and look of my hair.  I also look for products that will help to detangle my hair ( as it can sometimes become a little tangled from sleep...I sleep wild and no matter how well I try to cover or wrap up my hair, it always end up loose and all over the place while I sleep lol ).  I also like to seek products that will condition, moisturize, soften my hair and keep it that way.  Well I will have to admit that while I do NOT recommend some of Kinky Curly's products (their "custard" gel and "spiral spritz" will do a review on those later), I do like their "Knot Today" Leave-In Conditioner.  It does all of the above things that I mentioned. 

BEFORE KINKY CURLY
The Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner not only conditions and softens your hair, but it is one of the best detanglers I've used so far (besides "Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo") and it really does help to define my hair texture more with less frizz.  When you use it, make sure your hair is soaking wet and very damp, apply in ample amounts ( if your hair is like mine, less if your hair is more sleek and less frizzy but still curly/wavy) to sections of your hair, and use a wide tooth comb and your fingers to comb through your hair gently for detangling and for defining your hair texture.  This conditioner smells nice too, with a soft baby powder/marshmallow type of scent. 

The only thing that I can say that I actually don't like about Kinky Curly's Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner, is that it takes a long time ( hours ) for the hair to dry after it has been applied (even with sitting under a hair drier), and this conditioner does not mix well with other hair products like most hair gels ( ProAmpro's Dark Protein Gel seems to work "okay" with the conditioner though) and so forth (not even too well with their own custard gel in my opinion), and it can leave a white residue in your hair if too much is applied and it starts to dry before you're done styling your hair.  So beware of those inconveniences. 

AFTER KINKY CURLY 1
AFTER KINKY CURLY 2
Final Tip: Kinky Curly Knot today by the way can also be used as a regular rinse out conditioner as well.  So if you need a conditioner after shampooing your hair, you can apply kinky curly and leave on for a few minutes and then rinse your hair with water.  This is also recommended if you have straight but curly/wavy hair with no frizz.  If your hair is like mine, than you would likely apply it to sections of your hair in ample amount and comb the hair with a wide tooth comb, and then finger comb the hair to bring out your hair texture more.  You can see the photos of my hair before and after applying the Kinky Curly Leave-In Conditioner.  If you're interested in trying this product, you can find it at Whole Foods Market for $11.00 plus tax and at Target for $12.00 plus tax.  Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner is an natural hair care product.  Some of the ingredients include:  Organic Mango Fruit Extract, Organic Slippery Elm, Organic Marshmallow Root, and Organic Lemongrass

While you're in the store searching for this conditioner, you may notice that there is an entire line of Kinky Curly hair care products that seem to go hand in hand.  You may even notice that on their web site "how to use kinky curly products" video that they recommend you use the entire line for the best results of enhancing your hair texture more.  I'm going to give it to you straight, unless you intend on becoming frustrated from experimenting with a new product line....just stick with their Knot Today leave-in conditioner and if you like a good clarifying shampoo for getting lots of product out of your hair, than I recommend their Clairfying shampoo (it has sea salt, lemon, and other good ingredients that really cleanses your hair well naturally without all the chemicals) and call it a day.  I have tried the entire product line (before I knew that Whole Foods Market had a great return policy on products you're unsatisfied with) and it cost me about $60 and I got unsatisfactory results from using the entire Kinky Curly hair product line together like they recommend in their "how to" video! 

AFTER KINKY CURLY- Back of hair. Didn't use much in back.
Later (since I believed at the time that I was STUCK with the product line lol ), I decided to give Kinky Curly one more try, except this time I decided to not use the Kinky Curly Custard Gel (as it leaves your hair hard and sticky and it takes forever for your hair to dry using it with the Knot Today leave-in conditioner!) and to definitely avoid the Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz that is recommended to use the next day to "refresh your curls" (whatever, it did nothing but make my hair feel worse, it did not refresh my curls at all, and I hate the way it smells! lol ).  Just stick with the Kinky Curly Clarifying Shampoo ( for getting hair gel, spritz, mouse, etc out of your hair really well), and the Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner, and avoid the rest.  If you feel tempted to try the entire product line anyway, or one extra product from their line (that I highly don't recommend lol) than know that Whole Foods Market does give 100% refunds if you are unsatisfied with a product.  I'm not 100% sure on Target's return policy in regards to beauty products.  http://www.Kinky-Curl.com is the Kinky Curly web site for more info about their product line.  Good luck and feel free to comment about Kinky Curly products if you have already tried them or have a question about their products. 

Peace

Autumn Bleu

No comments:

Post a Comment