Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hair Product Review: Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner


Today I have a hair product review to share with you all.  Yesterday I was shopping for a good moisturizing conditioner for my hair.  I had been using a lot of hair gel this past week (the brown protein gel by Ampro) and my hair has been feeling unusually dry.  Normally the gel doesn't do this to my hair.  I'm guessing some other changes are going on with my hair chemistry that I haven't figure out exactly yet.  There were so many conditioners to choose from!  It was hard.

I asked one of the girls who worked there at the Whole Foods market what she used on her hair being that her hair looked similar in texture to mines.  She recommended "Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner".   It's an thick creamy herbal conditioner with a few rich oils included.  I took a look and read the ingredients.  I always read the ingredients, as I am particular about not wanting to use products with too much artificial "crap" in it (although I'm not above it and occasionally will when curious or desperately seeking results lol ), and prefer more natural ingredients to be used on my hair and skin. 

I'M IMPRESSED WITH THE INGREDIENTS :  Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Aloe Vera, Wheat Germ, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Rosa Mosqueta, Organic Jojoba Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil, Extracts of Fennel Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe (interesting eh?), Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia, Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (citrus seed extract), and finally Vitamins A,C, and E!  So I just knew this was going to be a great conditioner. :-) Well....read on for my results!

This 1st photo to the left is a pic of my hair before washing it today.  It has gel products in it and is very dry and a mess from sleeping not so well last night.

The following photos below this one were taken after I used "Yes to Carrots" Shampoo and "Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing" Conditioner.  You won't notice any difference in my hair texture, only that in the 1st photo my hair is dry and in the following photos my hair is wet.  This is unusual for me.  A really good moisturizing conditioner usually "shows" a difference in my hair texture regardless of the shampoo.  Leaving my hair to be more defined ( more crinkly/curly and less frizzy/fluffy ).  A good shampoo that moisturizes along with a good moisturizing conditioner, can also "show" a noticeable difference even more so than just a good moisturizing conditioner with "any" shampoo.  Seeing a more defined texture in my hair with less fluff and frizz is in my opinion the number one indicator that my hair has been adequately moisturized and conditioned. 






However, you can see there is truly no difference in the way my hair texture looks in the before wash photo and the after wash with conditioner photos.  My hair looks clean, that's it.  The second indicator that a good moisturizing conditioner really works for my hair is that I will "feel" soft.  

If the hair does not feel soft than the moisturizing conditioner did not do its job for my hair.  On the bottle it says for "DRY Brittle" hair.  My hair still feels dry, but not brittle.  My hair has an herbal scent like the ingredients, as there isn't a fragrance added to this conditioner.  I will give some credit to this conditioner as a slight hair "detangler" as the bottled mentioned.  But I am not really sure if it would do as well to detangle hair that is thick and coarse as it did an ok job detangling my hair and my hair is not thick or coarse (wet or dry). 

In this case, unfortunately the "Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner"  failed to make my hair feel soft and show more texture.  I paid $10.29 + tax for this conditioner! It should have worked for the money I paid right?? Wrong!  Price doesn't always equal quality, while at the same time price doesn't always mean it will work for EVERYONE who buys it! lol  There are products that work for different hair types.  I assumed that because this conditioner seemed to sell really well ( I literally got the last bottle of it off the shelf, while no one seemed to care too much for their shampoos!) that "oh this must be good!". lol Well it must be good for the other folks that bought it.  

Perhaps their hair type is more naturally oily ( less frizzy and more sleek in texture ) and therefore needs less moisturizing than my naturally dry, frizzy, majorly moisture needing hair.  
So I won't say that this is a bad product, because like I said this conditioner was truly sold out at the Whole Foods store and I happened to get the last bottle. So obviously a lot of people are happy with this conditioner. I just didn't get much out of it in my first use. The good thing about buying products from Whole Foods markets is their return policy on products if you are completely unsatisfied.  

Perhaps though I will either give it one more try with a different shampoo and see if this makes a difference (as it sometimes does and I'll admit that the "Yes to Carrots" Shampoo does "seem" to remove the moisture from my hair probably by stripping the oils away more than necessary for my hair type) and or just re-condition my hair without a shampoo (as this is a daily conditioner) to see if maybe my hair needs to adjust to the "Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner".  I'll be doing a review and pics of the "Yes to Carrots" Shampoo and Conditioner soon, as I have noticed that together they give surprisingly different results than today's product combination. Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment