Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Aveeno, St.Ives, and Equate Oatmeal Soothing & Moisturizing Body Wash/Body Lotions

You ever have an issue with dry, itchy, and irritated skin?  Well the old school remedy would be to rub oatmeal on your skin, or to soak in an oatmeal bath.  However, most people are not likely to try such an homeopathic remedy in this form.  So their next best option would be to pick up a convenient body lotion or body wash that is made with oatmeal properties.  Wondering which mainstream oatmeal skincare product you should use to help soothe your itchy, dry, and irritated skin?  Or which one is actually worth your money and which one isn't? Well let me save you the hassle of wasting your money and time. 

I've tried 3 different brands of oatmeal body lotion and shower gel.  Two of the brands I tried
are name brands, "St. Ives" and "Aveeno".  The third set of products I tried are from  Walmart's store brand "Equate".  I tend to have sensitive skin that is prone to irritation and itchiness from either an allergy or dry skin due to taking showers that are too hot (hot showers can dry your skin out for those who are not aware of this fact).  I take showers that are way too hot for most. lol  Also the cold winter can seriously dry out skin and cause not only dry ashy skin but also itchy skin from dryness.  There's nothing more annoying or irritating then skin that is either itchy either way it goes.  So I of course ran to the store to see what skin care products I could use to help soothe and relieve my skin from irritation and moisturize my skin as well.  



St.Ives Oatmeal Lotion
St.Ives Oatmeal Wash
I tried 3 different brands for about a week for each brand.  If the oatmeal product works than
it shouldn't take any longer than a week to show results at the longest, and just 2-3 days minimum at least to see a start of relief.  So here's the breakdown of each brand's results.

St.Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Wash
: Blah! Didn't seem to work in terms of showing any signs of relief to my irritated skin. It was decent as a moisturizer, but for the most part felt like it was cheap in quality to me.  I felt like I was just washing up and not really feeling any sense of no relief from the body wash as a start. Not worth buying, even if their lotion is! Cost: $2.50 for 16-18 oz bottle Find it at: Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Local Grocery Store

 

St.Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Lotion: Awesome product.  This lotion has quality to it.  It moisturized my skin very well and was soothing to my skin. Worth Buying. Cost: $3.50 for 16-18 oz bottle Find it at: Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Local Grocery Store

Aveeno Moisturizing Body Wash for Itchy Dry Skin (with colloidal oatmeal): I like this one.  It moisturizes and does seem to soothe the skin. Good quality product. Worth Buying.  Cost: $6.99 for 16-18 oz bottle  (
I tried the sample bottle as seen in the photo) Find it at: Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Local Grocery Store


Aveeno Oatmeal lotion
Aveeno Oatmeal Wash- Sample
Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Body Lotion for Itchy Dry Skin (with colloidal oatmeal):  This one was okay.  Nothing impressive to me for it to be Aveeno.  Aveeno is generally known to be the top brand for relief of itchy and irritated dry skin through oatmeal properties as it's key ingredient.  I actually expected it to be better, but it was "okay".  My mom actually only uses Aveeno when she has really bad allergy break outs on her skin.  But
she prefers an real oatmeal bath when it is convenient for her to take one.  I have to say that I like the St.Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Lotion so much better for skin moisturizing and relief from dry itchy skin.  This of course is my observation and experience.   Everyone's skin and reaction to a product may vary and be different or can be similar. It's an okay product.  So I feel neutral about this one.  You may find it okay to try, but I likely won't buy it again.  Cost: $6.99 for 16-18oz bottle (Mines came with a small sample bottle of the Aveeno Moisturizing Body Wash for Dry Itchy skin).  Find it at: Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Local Grocery Store in the beauty section.

Equate's Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion (with colloidal oatmeal):  This one was okay too. Nothing impressive.  But it may be worth to try.  Cost: cheaper than Aveeno! lol $4.99 for 16-18 oz bottle Find it at: Walmart only as this is their store brand (knock off from Aveeno lol).  
* Equate doesn't currently have an equivalent moisturizing body wash that includes oatmeal properties for the purpose of relieving and soothing dry and itchy irritated skin.  But they do have other moisturizing body washes that are fairly decent.  Two of them can be compared to Dove brands.  One is Sensitive Skin Moisturizing body wash ( I like this one as it is good for a woman's sensitive areas just like Dove body wash which is typically recommended by most GYN's for women with sensitive systems) and the other is a Cucumber soothing relief moisturizing body wash which is fine as well.  Cost: $3.50 for 16-18 oz bottle. Find it of course only at Walmart.  


Equate Oatmeal Lotion
Equate Cool Moisture Wash

Equate Sensitive Skin Wash














It's up to you which product you're interested in trying.  Hopefully I will save some of you a hassle of wasting money and time on products that may work or not work.  Remember though that everyone's reaction to a particular product may be slightly different from someone else as we have different skin types and body chemistry.

Peace, Autumn Bleu

No comments:

Post a Comment